WP Job Manager by default lets users apply to jobs via a simple email link or URL, and looks something like this once the apply button is pressed:
This can however be customised via the template files and via plugins.
↑ Back to Top Controlling which application method is allowed
If you go to Job Listings > Settings > Job Submission you’ll find a setting called Application method. This let’s you control what a user can submit via the job submission form. Set it to one of the following:
- Email addresses only – Employers must enter a valid email address for candidates to apply via.
- Website URLs only – Employers must enter a valid URL for candidates to apply via.
- Email addresses or Website URLs – Employers can use either of the above.
Depending on whats used (URL or email) determines how the “Apply for job” area looks on your site – it will show either a mailto: link, or a website link.
↑ Back to Top Customising the job application templates
There are 3 template files in the plugin for handling the application methods:
- job-application.php – Outputs the toggle button and fires a function depending on the application method (email or URL)
- job-application-url.php – Outputs the application URL text.
- job-application-email.php – Outputs the application email links and text.
Any of these template files can be modified via the theme – see: Template Overrides
As an example of customisation, a common request is to just make the ‘button’ link to the website or email address, rather than toggling open the instructions. This would be a simple case of overriding job-application.php and using this code inside it:
↑ Back to Top Applications via Ninja Forms, Gravity Forms, or Contact Form 7
To get started:
- Install the Ninja Forms plugin
- Install the Contact Listing plugin
- Create a form in Ninja Forms which you’ll use for applications. Common fields to include are name, email, message, and a file input for a resume. Ninja Forms documentation can be found here.
- Ensure your form contains the required fields for Contact Listings to work – instructions are found in the FAQ.
- Ninja Forms require a hidden field named “Listing ID” with it’s default value set to “Post/Page ID”.
- The Job/Resume listing must also have an email address associated with it, not a URL to a website (to enforce this see here).
- Next, create a new form email notification with the “To” field set to “firstname.lastname@example.org”. Fill the body with the information you want to send to the listing owner.
- Go to Job Listings > Settings and choose the form you want to use:
Now when you click apply you’ll get something like this:
↑ Back to Top Using the Job Applications add-on
The Job Applications add-on adds a form based application method, and some application management features to WP Job Manager.
Read more about this add-on here: https://wpjobmanager.com/add-ons/applications/
↑ Back to Top Making the application button link directly to the website
If you want your button to go directly to a URL instead of opening out the ‘apply’ box, you can override job-application.php and make it contain the following code instead: