Note: All code examples on this site are provided for developer reference/guidance only and we cannot guarantee that they will always work as expected. Our support policy does not include assistance with modifying or debugging code from any code examples, and they may be changed or removed if we find they no longer work due to changes in our plugins.
WP Job Manager by default lets users apply to jobs via a simple email link or URL, and looks something like this once the apply button is pressed:
This can however be customised via the template files and via plugins.
↑ Back to Top Controlling which application method is allowed
If you go to Job Listings > Settings > Job Submission you’ll find a setting called Application method. This let’s you control what a user can submit via the job submission form. Set it to one of the following:
- Email addresses only – Employers must enter a valid email address for candidates to apply via.
- Website URLs only – Employers must enter a valid URL for candidates to apply via.
- Email addresses or Website URLs – Employers can use either of the above.
Depending on whats used (URL or email) determines how the “Apply for job” area looks on your site – it will show either a mailto: link, or a website link.
↑ Back to Top Customising the job application templates
There are 3 template files in the plugin for handling the application methods:
- job-application.php – Outputs the toggle button and fires a function depending on the application method (email or URL)
- job-application-url.php – Outputs the application URL text.
- job-application-email.php – Outputs the application email links and text.
Any of these template files can be modified via the theme – see: Template Overrides
As an example of customisation, a common request is to just make the ‘button’ link to the website or email address, rather than toggling open the instructions. This would be a simple case of overriding job-application.php and using this code inside it:
↑ Back to Top Applications via Ninja Forms, Gravity Forms, or Contact Form 7
To get started:
- Install the Ninja Forms plugin
- Install the Contact Listing plugin
- Create a form in Ninja Forms which you’ll use for applications. Common fields to include are name, email, message, and a file input for a resume. Ninja Forms documentation can be found here.
- Ensure your form contains the required fields for Contact Listings to work – instructions are found in the FAQ.
- Ninja Forms require a hidden field named “Listing ID” with it’s default value set to “Post/Page ID”.
- The Job/Resume listing must also have an email address associated with it, not a URL to a website (to enforce this see here).
- Next, create a new form email notification with the “To” field set to “firstname.lastname@example.org”. Fill the body with the information you want to send to the listing owner.
- Go to Job Listings > Settings and choose the form you want to use:
Now when you click apply you’ll get something like this:
↑ Back to Top Using the Job Applications add-on
The Job Applications add-on adds a form based application method, and some application management features to WP Job Manager.
Read more about this add-on here: https://wpjobmanager.com/add-ons/applications/
↑ Back to Top Making the application button link directly to the website
If you want your button to go directly to a URL instead of opening out the ‘apply’ box, you can override job-application.php and make it contain the following code instead: